- Many factors play a role in the development of obesity, making it a complex health issue to address. At the most basic level, it is the result of an energy imbalance. Simply stated, we eat too much and exercise too little.
- Energy is another word for calories. Whenever you eat or drink, ENERGY (in the form of calories) is coming IN. At the same time, your body is constantly working, so ENERGY (in the form of calories) is going OUT. When you are in “energy balance” your energy (or calories) IN equals your energy (or calories) OUT.
To imagine energy balance, think of a scale…
- To maintain a healthy weight, your energy IN and OUT do not have to balance exactly every day. It is the balance over time that helps you maintain a healthy weight.
- The same amount of energy IN and energy OUT over time leads to a stable weight, that is, your weight stays the same:
- More energy IN than energy OUT over time = weight gain
- More energy OUT than energy IN over time = weight loss